Did you first learn about FlipIt at Vegan SoulFest in Baltimore? If so, you may have sampled Hue Cafe’s delicious oyster mushroom “fried chicken.” And luckily for you, we have the exclusive recipe—which can be made with cauliflower, too!
If you make this tasty treat, let us know on social media! Tag @flipitplantfwd and @huecafeandapothecary.
Marinate the Cauliflower or Oyster Mushrooms
- In a bowl, combine oat milk, hot sauce, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the oat milk mixture, ensuring they are well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or even overnight for better flavor absorption.
Prepare the Coating
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried oregano, potato starch and black pepper to create the coating mixture.
Coat the Cauliflower
- Remove the marinated cauliflower from the fridge and let any excess oat milk drip off.
- Dip each cauliflower floret into the coating mixture, pressing the coating onto the florets to adhere well. Shake off any excess coating.
Heat the Oil
In a deep, heavy-bottomed pot or deep fryer, heat vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C).
Fry the Cauliflower or Oyster Mushrooms
- Carefully place coated cauliflower florets into the hot oil, ensuring not to overcrowd the pot. Fry in batches if necessary.
- Fry the cauliflower until golden brown and crispy, about 4-5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Once all the cauliflower is fried, transfer it to a serving platter.
- Serve your crispy “fried chicken” cauliflower hot with your favorite dipping sauces, such as barbecue sauce.
- For an even crunchier texture, you can do a double coating. After the first coating, dip the cauliflower back into the oat milk mixture and then coat again with the flour mixture.
- Adjust the amount of hot sauce to your preferred level of spiciness.
- Feel free to customize the seasoning blend in the coating mixture to match your taste preferences.
Enjoy your delicious and crispy “Fried Chicken” Cauliflower that’s sure to satisfy both your fried chicken and veggie cravings!